Translate

Sunday, December 10, 2017

No Social Media Challenge Day One: Happiness in Achievement

Today was the first day of my no social media challenge, and I would say it was very successful. I accomplished many things that have brought me closer to those around me. I had the honor of attending an event to be recognized with fifteen other young people in the community for outstanding achievement, and I was able to have good conversations with several people through this event. 
Franklin D. Roosevelt, the 32nd President of the United States, once said, "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." 
This quote has been on my mind a lot today, and I believe it is true. Many people in the modern American culture are dissatisfied with their lives. People place more emphasis on "achieving" a lot of followers on their Instagram account than "achieving" satisfying relationships with those around them. Togetherness is important, and we can do amazing things when we are with those we love. Conversation has value, and a true friendship can be considered an outstanding accomplishment.
Achievement can even be found in small things, such as keeping your home clean and tidy, making a delicious meal for your family, or even having a much needed talk while transporting your kids to an event across town. 
Social media is not necessary in fulfilling the above activities. It can even be dangerous in some circumstances. Today, I was challenged to engage with those around me rather than with those on my phone. I may have lost my Snapchat streaks, but the love for others I gained through this experience will never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment