Translate

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Day Five: Opportunity

These past five days have been filled with opportunity. I baked cookies yesterday, and I got to share them with my friends today. A friend I hadn't seen for a while showed up when my brother came back to town. My family decorated the house for Christmas. While these events could take place with social media present, they are much more memberable when you place your phone out of sight to soak up the joy of those around you. 
We often look at opportunities as a burden. Look at the differences in these two phrases.
"I have to eat lunch with my mom."
"I get to eat lunch with my mom."
Which sounds more appealing? 

When we put down our phones and open our minds, we see a whole new world of possibility. We stumble across opportunities we never knew existed. Things that seem small and insignificant can become beautiful. As mid-nineteenth century poet Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting."
Social media often hinders us from seeing the beauty in our world. We have been given countless wonders we take for granted, such as a loving family, encouraging friends, and even the air we breathe. Soaking all this in can be relieving. Ignoring it can be harmful. 
You don't always have to seek out opportunity; it will find you if you are willing to accept it. It can be as simple as the opportunity to express gratitude, enjoy the presence of your pets, or see the stars in the midnight sky.
I want to challenge you all to embrace the opportunity placed before you rather than run from it. Let me know what opportunities you've been given recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment