Translate

Friday, December 8, 2017

Spending Time Wisely: Every Second Counts

A recent Google search and a lot of time with my calculator has led me to discover some interesting internet statistics. A little more than half the world's population, about 51%, would consider themselves to be active internet users. If there is almost 7.5 billion people in the world, and the average user spends 2 hours every day on social media, that would mathematically work out to over 800 thousand years of social media EACH DAY. That means that you alone will spend 150 days on social media over a time of 5 years.
Now imagine what would happen if we all reduced the time to even one hour a day. Another 400 thousand years could be spent volunteering at a local food kitchen, helping an elderly neighbor rake her leaves, or simply spending time with family and friends. People can accomplish amazing things when they take an hour, or even a minute, to do something kind for someone. Every second is important when it comes to showing that you care.
I've found myself neglecting several opportunities to do something for the betterment of those around me through my use of social media, mostly because of the time I waste on my phone. I feel more comfortable hiding behind a screen when a person right in front of me is in need of my help, and I know I'm not the only one, as I have been on both sides of this scenario. We need to be more aware of the hurt around us, because life is hard. However, it can be much less burdensome if we were willing to offer our assistance and share our problems.
Imagine what a better place the world would be if we stopped fretting over how many times people double tap our Instagram photos and instead focus on spreading love, generosity, and gratitude to those around us. Take a moment to say "thank you" when someone does something kind for you, however small it may seem. It's the little things that truly count. 
What are some ways YOU can make a difference today? Let me know what you will do to show the world love and joy. 

3 comments:

  1. Well said! I will be ready with a kind word or two for my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to make a difference! Thanks for contributing!

      Delete