Translate

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Challenge: A Week Without Social Media

Many people have found themselves immersed in their phones while life zooms by. I'm not trying to point fingers; I am guilty of this as well. We as a people, the internet users of the world, have failed to notice the surroundings in which we put ourselves. A beautiful sunset is overlooked when we are instead focused on taking the perfect picture for our Instagram followers. While that is not a bad thing, it can become harmful when that is all we care about, when we spend all our time online.
People watch their child's solo in the school play through a phone. They focus on the recording for Facebook rather than encouraging their kid. A picture of the mountains becomes more important than traveling. Stalking a celebrity is more appealing than listening to your best friend talk about her day.
In social settings, I often notice that everyone is on their phones, sometimes texting the person right beside them. The only interactions that occur are showing the group a funny meme or an interesting video. We hide behind our screens instead of actually communicating. 
As a result, I am going to partake in a challenge to go an entire week without social media starting on December 10, 2017. I am very excited to see where this challenge will take me. I aspire to attain a new appreciation for life through this journey, and I encourage others to join me. 
This means no Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter, or any other forms of online communication! We can do it!

14 comments:

  1. Woahhh, this is such a good idea!!! :) Go Sarah! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! I am looking forward to this challenge.

      Delete
  2. This is a a great idea! I am eager to see where this challenge will take me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. What about blogging? Is that social media?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking! I will continue this blog during this time, and yes, it would be considered social media. I guess you could call this my "cheat." :) I will record my findings of each day in order to share with the internet world.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I think I personally might try a day! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! It will definitely be a fun and memorable experience.

      Delete
  7. I will be checking to see how you are doing without social media! Stay Strong! :-) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Rise of Visual Commerce Platforms: How They’re Helping Businesses Grow

    ReplyDelete